Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The Wire vs. The Wire







Here is a transcript of the date scene, set at Georgia Brown's ("Slapstick," Episode 9 in Season 3):

McNulty: "That’s good food. How’d you know about this place?"

Terry D'Agostino
: "It was big when Clinton was in. This and the Red Sage. Now it’s all steakhouses and cigar bars."

"So you live here, but you spend a lot of time in Baltimore, right?"

"I have work up there. And the alumni stuff with St. Mary’s on the Hill. I went to UM Law, so I still have connections there, too. Actually, I grew up in Homeland."

"Yeah?"

[D'Agostino nods head]

McNulty: "Lauraville for me."

"Where’d you go to college?"

"Loyola. Only one year. My girlfriend go pregnant, so…"

"So?"

"So, uh…"

"So you became a cop in Baltimore. How’s that working for you?"

"It’s pretty good. You know, I do a lot of high-end drug stuff. Wiretaps. Prolonged investigations of violent offenders, that kind of stuff. Fact is, there’s not a lot of guys in the department do that kind of thing, you know, it takes a certain…I don’t know, you gotta love it. Thrill of the chase and all that."

McNulty: "So you do what in politics?"

"I do political campaigns."

"You mean like a campaign manager?"

"More of a strategist really. Not so much the day-to-day stuff but the strategy of how a candidate can win. A consultant…of sorts."

"You strategizing for anyone in Baltimore?"

"I shouldn’t say. I mean, he hasn’t officially announced anything yet."

"He any good?"

"Hey, if you’re for him I’ll throw the guy a vote. What the hell."

"Who’d you vote for this time?"

"What, you mean Bush and what’s-his-name?"

"Kerry."

"You didn’t vote for president?"

"I thought about it, yeah, and, you know…Bush seemed way over his head, I know, but he wasn’t gonna win in Maryland, anyhow. Besides, these guys? It doesn’t matter who you got. None of them has a clue what’s really going on. I mean, where I’m working every day? The only way any of these guys is even gonna find West Baltimore is if, I dunno, Air Force One crash-lands into Monroe Street on its way back to Andrews. It just never connects. Not to what I see, anyway."

[D'Agostino looks uncomfortable, starts playing with her food with her fork…long pause]

McNulty: "Hey, that’s just me, though."

[D'Agostino turns head slightly in McNulty’s direction, but doesn’t look at him. Very awkward silence.]